- Students: 18
- Duration: 30 hours
Advanced Fire fighting
Objective of the course: Training and education of sailors in general organization, fire-fighting tactics on the board, assessment of the situation, determination of purpose and main tasks in fire-fighting.
Listeners who have successfully completed their training will be able to respond correctly to emergency fire situations, make correct and timely decisions to ensure the safety of crew and vessel and use fire-fighting equipment effectively demonstrate the skills and knowledge acquired in the process of removing and localizing fire spots.
- preparation for the management of the fire fighting on the board;
- organization and preparation of the fire brigade;
- inspection of equipment and special systems for fire detection and extinguishing;
- investigation, documentation and reporting of fire incidents.
The management of on-board fire-fighting operations includes training in fire detection and classification. The listeners learn how to properly organize the fire-fighting operations, evacuation and rescue of people, identify major hazard areas of a fire on board and localize the fires:
- in accommodation and machinery spaces, cargo holds and tanks of tank vessels;
- on oil or gas tankers.
At the training session will be considered in detail the actions of the crew member who discovered the fire, the work of the crew in accordance with the ship’s fire management plan, the actions of the captain in maneuvering in case of a fire on the vessel under way or when it stands at the terminal. The practical exercises will examine the joint actions of the crew and professional firefighters, and the procedure for coordination with the coastal fire services. The organization and conduct of the fire-fighting emergency batch exercises include the preparation of the crew’s fire-fighting preparedness and contingency plan.
The course will focus on:
- practical fire-fighting training for crew members;
- test of crewmembers knowledge and implementation of duties during the alarm;
- ability to turn on pumps, turn off ventilation, cut off necessary equipment, put on fire gear and put out a fire on cue;
- to have skills of fire management strategy and tactics in various parts of the ship localization fire and establish a line of defense;
- choice methods of fire fighting, fire attack and damage control of fire;
- fire fighting on the deck, in the superstructure, in the accommodation and service spaces, in the engine rooms and in the cargo holds.
Inspection, maintenance of fire detection systems and other equipment include knowledge and practical guidance in handling:
- fire alarms, fire alarm box;
- installation of the permanent fire fighting system;
- water fire fighting systems, CO2 fire-extinguishing and foam fire-protection systems;
- steam smothering, liquid-type fire-extinguishing system, chemical fire smothering system.
You will learn to divide the vessel into zones, to define fire doors, control posts, evacuation routes, to protect stairways and elevator shafts in rooms and control posts, to work with water fire protection system, fire hydrants, hoses, nozzles, pumps. Also correctly using the fire-fighting clothing and other protective equipment for personnel.
The investigation and reporting of fire incidents include the assessment of the causes of fire incidents and the preparation of necessary reports, the preparation of documents for the investigation, and the taking of measures relating to those injured or killed in the fire.