Marine certificates are documents confirming the level of professional qualifications of a seafarer, his practical training and skills to preserve life and health on board. Certificates for seafarers are obligatory documents for work as part of a ship's crew.
Marine certifications – what are they for?
Gone are the days when every ship owner hired a crew at the port tavern for purely personal reasons. With the development of navigation and under the influence of globalization processes, individual countries began to unite in international organizations to develop uniform requirements for the level of training of seafarers. This makes it possible to conduct professional training in accordance with uniform programs and issue documents of a single sample. This approach provided an opportunity for seafarers from different countries to be hired on any vessel.
In order to qualify for a position on a ship’s crew, the applicant must prove his competence and suitability in documentary form. These documents are marine certificates. Preparation for certification and issuance of certificates is carried out in accordance with the rules of the International STCW Convention, on the training and certification of seafarers and watchkeeping of 1978. A number of functions are assigned to the certificates:
- confirmation of the readiness of a prompt response in the event of difficult situations;
- confirmation of the appropriate level of knowledge and practical skills to work on the ship in the position held;
- confirmation of knowledge and practical skills in the areas of: damage control, cargo safety, ship security, environmental protection, firefighting, rafting and rowing boats.
Since November 2020, the “Maritime Administration of Maritime and River Transport of Ukraine” has determined the minimum list of certificates that an applicant for a ship’s position must present in order to obtain a qualification certificate. Some specific ship owners require additional certificates. Maritime documents must be legal and can only be issued by licensed and certified centers. In Ukraine it is the Black Sea Training Center, its documents are valid all over the world.
How to Obtain a Maritime Certificate
To obtain a legitimate maritime certificate you only need to take a few steps. To get started, contact our center through the website or by phone to receive comprehensive information from our managers. A consultation in our center will help to collect a full set of documents required for training.
Almost all training courses can be completed according to a full or shortened program, the choice depends on the task and the budget for training.
After signing the contract and paying the cost of training, theoretical and practical classes begin with the use of marine simulators. Due to the absence of intermediaries along the entire training path, the price of marine certificates from our center is the lowest in the region.
Navigation using radar, radar plotting and ARPA, teamwork on the bridge, search and rescue (management level)
Use of electronic chart navigation and informative systems (ECDIS) (A-II / 1, A-II / 2, A-II / 3 A-I / 12 p. 1, 2, BI / 12 p. 36- 66)
List of maritime certificates
Brief description of all issued maritime certificates of the "Black Sea Training Centre"
General training certificates
- The purpose of the course: to provide the formation of first aid skills among the commanding crew and ship crews that do not have medical personnel.
- The objectives of the course: are reduced to teaching the commanding crew of ships without medical personnel the skills that allow them to provide first aid if an accident occurs on board or a sudden illness is recorded.
The aim of the course: is that the officers on board ships that do not have medical personnel:
- be prepared to provide first aid;
- possessed the skills to conduct a medical examination, to provide assistance in traumas, accidents, sudden illnesses before it becomes possible to provide victims with qualified or special medical care.
- Purpose of the course: to provide professionals with experience on board ships who have not previously performed duties related to life-saving appliances with the necessary skills.
- Objectives of the course: are reduced to the preparation of ship specialists to fulfill the duties assigned to the commanders of lifeboats, rafts, rescue boats, not related to high-speed ones.
- Purpose of the course: is to conduct re / training of ship specialists, who may be assigned tasks and responsibilities for the management of fast rescue boats. The level of competence must be sufficient for their use and command.
- Purpose of the course: Training and education of seafarers in general organization, tactics of fighting fires on ships, assessing the situation, defining the goal and main tasks in countering fire.
Students who have successfully completed the training will be able to correctly respond to emergency situations in the event of a fire, make the right and timely decisions to ensure the safety of the crew and the vessel, effectively use fire extinguishing equipment, demonstrate the skills and knowledge gained in the process of eliminating and localizing fires.
Purpose of the course: The development and keep of the skills necessary for seafarers is facilitated by the passage of special initial training in security issues. Within its framework, members of the crew of ships of the sea and river fleets implement the goal of the SFBTIS course:
- they get acquainted with the basics of personal safety and survival techniques;
- the master the skills of fire fighting;
- learn first aid.
- Purpose of the course: The purpose of this course is to provide students with the skills of using compressed air devices. The course is designed in accordance with section A-VI / 1 of the STCW Code.
- Objective of the course: Acquiring knowledge on the use of ASV-2 breathing apparatus and practical skills in working with them within the framework of the personal survival program and fire fighting on board.
Ship Safety Certificates
- The aim of the course is to prepare officers for the duties of ensuring safety on board. The course is designed in accordance with the International Safety Management Code of the ISM Code.
- At the end of the course, students must be prepared and qualified in full compliance with the International Management Code for the Safe Operation of Ships and for Pollution Prevention (IMO Resolution A – 741 (18)).
- Purpose of the course: Training of the ship’s crew in accordance with the International Ship and Port Facility Security Code (ISPS Code). The result of completing the course should be the readiness of the crew members to protect the ship, in accordance with the plan and with clear interaction with the ship security officer.
- The aim of this course is to prepare crew members, in accordance with the International Ship and Port Facility Security (ISPS Code) Code, to carry out their duties under a ship security plan and in close coordination with a ship security officer. Preparations are made to effectively counter cases of armed attack on a ship.
- The aim of this course is to train those responsible for ship security in collaboration with company or port security officers. The issues of protection in cases of attack by armed pirates are considered. The program is drawn up in accordance with Regulation VI / 5 on ship security and other state and international documents. The ship security officers (SSO) undergo training.
Certificates for Navigators
The aim of the course is to conduct simulator training for mastering the skills of safe operation of the equipment. The Operational Use of Electronic Chart Display and Information Systems (ECDIS), which require:
- understanding of the basic principles of operation;
- knowledge of what ECDIS data is and how it should be presented;
- ideas about potential errors in the received data;
- knowledge of the limitations of the system and the potential hazard that exists as a result of its use.
- The course is designed for the commanding crew to provide mastering the skills of using radar, radar plotting, ARPA. This will make it possible to confidently establish collective interaction on the bridge, including during search and rescue operations.
- The aim of the course is to train navigators responsible for navigational watches (captain, mate) on simulators that teach practical skills in using radar systems.
- The course is for students who need to deepen their understanding of Bridge Control Resources (BTRM) through simulator training.
- The aim of the course is to enhance the knowledge and practical skills of the trainees in ship handling, so that they can confidently participate in the coordinated actions of the officers on the bridge.
- The course is for students who need to deepen their understanding of Bridge Control Resources (BTRM) through simulator training.
The aim of the course is to acquire new knowledge of ship handling and maneuvering skills that allow, under any conditions, taking into account the ship’s characteristics and its maneuverability:
- to maintain safety;
- direct the actions of the crew.
Certificates for Engineers
- The aim of the High Voltage Equipment course is to replenish and update knowledge about modern high-voltage marine equipment, improve the practical skills of operating such equipment and practice troubleshooting techniques in accordance with the requirements of standards for safe operation.
- Engine room crew members must have the necessary skills to maintain a watch. This course is intended to reinforce professional skills and assess watch readiness.
- The purpose of this course is to prepare ship engineers and cadets for keeping watch in the engine room, to increase their professional skills in matters of ship resource management. The ERS – 5000 Techsim simulator is used to improve the effectiveness of training.
- Students of the course have the opportunity to recall the accumulated and acquire new experience in the management of the main power unit (MPU) and auxiliary equipment in volumes sufficient for maneuvering the vessel and performing all vessel technological operations in which the mechanical equipment of the vessel is involved.
Certificates for Radio Specialists
- The aim of the course is for the student who graduates to acquire the professional skills and knowledge that would allow him to responsibly perform his duties in accordance with the “Specification of minimum requirements for the competence of GMDSS radio operators”.
- The aim of this course is to prepare candidates for the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS) Restricted Radio Operator Diploma. Lectures, group workshops and independent work are used to prepare students.
Certificates for work on tankers
The purpose of the course is INERT GAS SYSTEM to conduct training for captains, chief engineers, and other persons of the tankers’ crew in the framework of their duties on:
- ensuring the safety of tankers;
- use of fire safety systems and means;
- prevention of pollution of the sea, the environment;
- operational practice;
- action of the norms of international maritime conventions, acts of national legislation.
- The purpose of the course is to prepare captains, chief engineers, and other crew members to ensure the safety of oil tankers as part of their immediate job duties. They are related to loading / unloading / transportation / handling of cargo on oil tankers.
- The purpose of the Basic Training for Oil and Chemical Tanker Cargo Operation course is to provide ship officers and other crew members with the necessary basic training to handle cargo using special equipment on board oil tankers, chemical tankers.
- The purpose of the basic training course is to enable the qualified performance by officers and ratings of official duties related to cargo and cargo equipment on LNG carriers.
- The purpose of the course is to prepare captains, chief mates, engineers, and other crew members for the performance of duties on a chemical tanker related to loading, handling, safe transportation, unloading, tank cleaning and other cargo operations.
The aim of the course is to prepare persons belonging to the command and enlisted personnel of gas tankers to carry out special duties that arise in connection with the presence of goods and the use of cargo equipment.
The objectives of the Advanced Training for Liquefied Gas Tanker Cargo Operations course are to prepare students for the qualified performance of official duties in accordance with the requirements contained in the 1978 STCW Convention.
Special attention has always been paid to cargo operations on oil tankers. A trained crew is required to carry out such work safely. Training for oil tanker cargo operations is the subject of this Advanced Training for Oil Tanker Cargo Operations course.
- Training of Officers and Rating Responsible for Cargo Handling on Ships Carrying Dangerous and Hazardous Substances in Solid Form in Bulk and in Packaged Form, who can be involved in cargo operations, for the correct handling of dangerous goods.
Certificates for Shipping Companies
- The purpose of the course is to prepare captains, officers and ratings, and other personnel of passenger ships to take actions to ensure the safety of passengers in the event of an emergency.
The purpose of the course is to provide knowledge and assistance in mastering the practical skills necessary for:
- the captain of the ship, officer and rating crew, everyone who, according to the ship’s schedule, will provide assistance to passengers in case of alarm – to manage unorganized groups of people;
- personnel directly involved in serving passengers on the premises – to maintain safety.
- In the event of an emergency on board, the master, officers and other crew members must be prepared to ensure the safety of passengers.
- The purpose of the course is to acquire knowledge and work out practical skills provided for by the norms of international maritime conventions, national legislation
- The aim of the course is to provide the officers of the courts with the knowledge and skills that contribute to the skillful leadership of people to perform work as part of a team:
- making effective decisions in various situations;
- leadership of (un) organized groups;
- fulfillment of duties to ensure the safety of navigation;
- formation of the level of competence of management activities on the ship, which allows to minimize the risk of accidents due to the preparedness of the crew for responsible and safe behavior in emergency situations.
Documents for obtaining maritime certificates
To enroll in the courses, you must meet the following requirements and document this:
- be over 18 years old;
- meet the health requirements;
- have a qualification obtained in a maritime educational institution and a corresponding length of sea service as a command staff.
Depending on the position you are applying for, the composition of the documents may vary slightly. It is better to contact our center for details.
Advantages of maritime certificates from the Black Sea Training Centre – BTC
By contacting our training center, you are guaranteed to receive the required certificate. But the main thing is that you will receive real knowledge and skills that you will not be ashamed to demonstrate in working conditions on ships.
Our center is licensed and certified. Teachers have practical experience, the necessary knowledge and know how to convey them to the audience. The material base of our center allows us to conduct practical exercises on simulators, the result of which will be real skills of work in certain conditions.
The cost of our maritime certificates is reasonable compared to other training centers. Whichever course you take, at the end of the training program you will gain new knowledge, practical skills and confidence in your abilities. In confirmation of this, a legitimate certificate is issued, which is recognized by shipping companies around the world.
How to check a marine certificate?
If you are not sure about the legitimacy of your certificate, you can check it on our website, on the Certificate legitimacy check service. The same check can be carried out on the website of the Inspectorate for Training and Certification of Seafarers ITCS. Spend a little time checking, this will save you from a number of unpleasant situations.
Why you shouldn't buy seafarers' certificates
The only legal way to get one or another certificate for working at sea is to undergo training at a licensed seafarer training center. Unfortunately, it is not that simple. Type in any phrase in a search about the need to obtain a maritime certificate, and it will give you a coherent range of tempting offers at very attractive prices. These are scam sites.
In the best case, you will be directed to intermediaries who will direct you to our center, taking additional money from you. In the worst case, you will be offered to buy fake maritime certificates. You cannot go on a flight with such documents. Well, if a miracle happens and it turns out to take a position without meeting the requirements, this is a chance to expose yourself and your comrades to mortal danger and a direct path to the dock. The price of maritime certificates purchased from scammers is low, but they are very expensive.